Every Child Can! or its equivalent, Filosofia, must be taken before this teacher workshop, as well as SECE: Prenatal and Early Years, Stage 1, and participants must be active members of the Suzuki Association of the Americas. It is recommended that participants have a year of experience teaching SECE.
Suzuki Early Childhood Education: Prenatal and Early Years, Stage 2
Instructor: Danette Schuh
Dates: Monday, August 3 – Saturday, August 9, 2020
The tentative class schedule is Monday & Tuesday 10-12, 1-5. Wed- Fri 9-11, 1-5. Saturday 9-12, plus final concert Saturday afternoon.
Stage 2 delves more deeply into these topics:
• Study of the baby/toddler class curriculum and goals
• The importance of the baby/toddler class sequence and key teaching strategies
• Discussion of the skill level of babies and toddlers
• An emphasis on parent education
• An outline of a prenatal music stimulation program for expectant families
• Guides to prenatal resources
• Analysis of flow and balance of the curriculum
The daily schedule is intensive. Participants at teacher workshops should clear their schedule to be available for the entire duration of their course and plan to attend daytime honors recitals at 11 am and evening performances at 7 pm. All teacher workshop participants are expected to:
- Purchase the course materials from the instructor on the first day – $25 via cash, check, Venmo, Zelle…
- Be conversant with the ideas presented in Suzuki’s Nurtured by Love and Ability Development from Age Zero. If you read them ages ago, please re-read!
- Plan to wear comfortable clothing as you will be sometimes sitting on the floor, dancing, and you will sometimes need to remove your shoes.
- Participate actively in class and bring a notebook. Be prepared for daily writing assignments.
- Attend all classes. 100% attendance is required for the course to be added to your SAA training transcript. Completion and approval of the SECE training for SAA registration will be at the discretion of the teacher trainer.
- Participate in the SAA focus group on Monday, Aug 3 at 5 pm